Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Extending my reach

From left to right:
smc PENTAX-M 50mm F1.7 (for size),
Auto Chinon 200mm F3.5,
Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO
Turns out that a 50mm lens, even though very fast, is not so great for Messier objects.

So cue new, longer lenses!

After some considerable Marktplaats.nl (a dutch trading site) hunting and some friendly folk over at PentaxForum.nl (thanks Guus!),  I am now in the possession of  2 new long lenses and a teleconverter!

The middle lens in the picture is an Auto Chinon. It is an M42 lens with a focal length of 200mm and an f-number of 3.5. It's pretty fast and according to most reviews quite sharp as well. Operation is completely manual though.

It feels really nice and heavy, as it is all metal, and is actually quite wide. It has an integrated lens hood but came without front cap though. I think the filter thread is 62mm, so I'll fetch a cheap one via eBay from China.

I've ordered an adapter on eBay, so it'll be a while before I get to use it. As the flange distance of M42 and Pentax K-mount are identical, it should work really well out of the box.

The other "new" lens is a Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO manual lens. I say manual, but it is a K-mount lens with so-called "A-mode", which means the aperture can be controlled from the camera. This makes it quite suitable for wildlife photography as well.

It's a tad on the heavy side, though pretty compact for such a long lens. Focus action is really light and smooth; a joy to work with! Like the Chinon, it comes with it's own lens hood build in.

With the Sigma I also purchased a 2x teleconverter to double the focal length (at the expense of making the setup slower); effectively giving me a focal length equivalent of 400 (lens) x 2 (TC) x 1.5 (crop) = 1200mm!

The setup does look a tad on the bulky side, though nothing extreme by photographic standards (and tiny by astronomic standards):

The K-5 with the Sigma 400 and the 2x teleconverter


I can't wait for the skies to clear up so I can start shooting.

Note that all this equipment meets the "On a budget" criteria as even the most expensive one (the Sigma) only cost me €50,-! #Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment