Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

A Russentonne!

It took a little bit of searching, but now I finally have my "Russentonne". The MTO-11CA. A Maksutov-Cassegrain mirror lens with a focal length of 1000mm!

If you look at the pictures of the lens by itself, it doesn't look that big. It has the normal proportions of a barrel.

Until you realize that it takes 116 mm (that's 4 inches for you imperial boys and girls) filters...

It. is. big!

This is how it looks on my camera (with teleconverter):

My camera is dwarfed
(and the lens hood isn't even extended that much).

You can hand hold it. Sort of.

With teleconverter

And with the teleconverter it becomes a 2000mm lens. Remember that comparison I did for the autoguider? Here's that same pylon (which is about 1.2 km away), but now at a 3000mm equivalent. Note the now readable text!

Taken with the kitlens at 55mm: note the pylon at the red arrow.


With the MTO-11CA and teleconverter: so very tele!

Some quick shots also revealed the donut bokeh we know and love of mirror lenses.

Notice the bokeh in the lower right corner

Donut bokeh lights


I can't wait to point this thing at the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment